Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What I've been reading lately... young adult novels

Originally published on my tumblr blog on 10/7/09

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins – It’s the sequel to Hunger Games. Is it the best story ever told? Probably not. It’s kind of like Survivor meets the future dystopian society. But she can really tell a story. In both Hunger Games and Catching Fire, I couldn’t put it down.

Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley – What an amazingly beautifully designed novel! The design is great, the concept is great, the story is fun, but the copy-editing was not so hot. I stumbled a few times when errors occurred. Just makes me sad when it’s such a fun idea. I’d still totally recommend reading it. Wouldn’t it be a total nightmare to die during high school and discover that you still have to go to school AND that not all ghost teenagers are automatically your friend?

Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins – A friend recommended Collins’ earlier work. I only read the first in the series. It’s for younger readers, but her storytelling abilities still shine! With all the bugs, bats, and spiders, I’d guess this would appeal to boys.  Actually, it’d make a great video game…

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray – Part turn of the century (20th, not 21st), part Gossip Girl, and part supernatural thriller. I’ve just downloaded the remaining two books in the trilogy for the flight to China. Historical sci-fi with cliques! So fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment